Sunday, June 3, 2012

Books in News #9

A wrap-up of recent events, announcements, releases, or other news circulating the web.
Welcome back my amazing followers and lurkers, today I have for you the 9th installment of my weekly Books in News. This weeks news are less than normal so this post should be shorter than the previous ones. Today’s post collects news of the week between Sunday May 27, 2012 and Saturday June 2, 2012.

Today we have news about:

Real Mermaids, The Hollows TV Show, Once Burned, The Host, a young Writer, Les Miserables, and a killer marriage proposal.

Let’s begin this post with something not entirely related to books but that nonetheless is quite a shocker. Tell me something, what is your take on Ariel from Disney’s The Little Mermaid? If I were to tell you that mermaids are real and that they are just another evolutionary branch from the apes, just like humans are, would you believe me? Would you believe it if it came from a widely recognize entity? What if either I or said entity claimed to have scientific proof, would you believe it then? Well, it seems like the Animal Planet, one of the TV channels distributed by Discovery Communications (Wikipedia), certainly wants us to believe it’s not just a possibility but a reality. Think I’m kidding? That I’ve somehow lost my wits? Possibly, but hey, I wasn’t the one who did an entire documentary based on unsubstantial evidence. So no, I’m not joking, Animal Planet televised last Sunday May 27th, 2012 a documentary called Mermaids: The Body Found as part of their Monster Week. It basically tries to convince you that mermaids are real. But there is always the other side of every coin, and there is plenty of people calling the show a mockumentary. Still think I’m not serious? Well, why don’t you watch the documentary yourself? I found this video on YouTube, it seems to be the full documentary (haven’t finished it yet, I’m writing this before it’s too late). Be warned, the video’s length is 1 hour, 28 minutes and it’s mostly CGI. Watch it, make up your own mind and write your thoughts on the comments section below; enjoy!





Now, let’s move on to something that is completely real. The world has lost a great writer before her career had a chance to begin, yet her words survive. Marina Keegan, a Yale graduate died on a car crash this past week, but her last essay and, as a consequence, her life have gone viral. Follow the previous links to learn more. 

In a lighter –book related– note, Kim Harrison confirmed this past Monday that the CW has officially passed on turning The Hollows into a TV Series. There is little information as to the why, so I guess we won’t be seeing Jenks on the small screen. Oh well, if it’s any consolation, we won’t have to worry about whether or not the CW will completely alter the storyline. 

Speaking of cinematics, did you knew that the trailer for Once Burned is finally here? It is!! Book trailers are looking more and more like movie trailers; personally I love it! Enjoy…

And speaking of movies, in an interview, author Stephanie gives her two cents on Fifty Shades of Grey, The Hunger Games and who she would like to cast as Finnick.


Meanwhile, the first footage from The Host has been posted by MTV:


And in keeping with the movie theme, the official trailer for the film Les Miserables hit the web this week. Check out Anne Hathaway singing! The movie will arrive on theaters this Christmas.





Lastly, For today’s Bonus I have a marriage proposal. I know that this one has gone beyond viral and you have probably already seen it but it’s so awesome that I had to share it.





Do you like this post? Please link back to this article by copying one of the codes below.

URL: HTML link code: BB (forum) link code:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below!

DISCLAIMER

I believe in honesty and I appreciate the trust that you, as followers, place on me when you visit my blog. As such, a policy has been develop to comply with the FTC Guidelines, on the basis of my recent incursion in Blog Affiliations. To read the site policy follow THIS LINK.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...